5 cups flour
1 t salt
2 T butter
1 cup evaporated milk
½ cup water
6 medium potatoes
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 stick butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 t salt
2 t pepper
- Peel and dice potatoes. Cover with water. Boil until soft.
- Sauté onions in butter.
- Add cheese, onions, salt, and pepper to potatoes. Mix well. Allow to cool. Stir occasionally.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl, forming a well in the center.
- Add soft butter and evaporated milk gently until all flour is absorbed.
- Add water as needed. Knead dough until it sticks together. Let rest for 5 minutes then knead till smooth.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turn to coat and cover. Let it set for ½ hour.
- Take 1/3 dough leaving the rest covered.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface. Flip dough and roll till its ⅛ thick. Cut into 3” circles.
- Place a T of filling on one side of circle. Fold over other half and press edges together with a fork.
- Place dumplings on a floured tray and keep covered
- Cook dumplings in boiling water 3-5 minutes. Can also fry in butter or oil after cooking. Serve with sour cream.